The Art and Science of Sushi: A Comprehensive Guide to Ingredients, Techniques and Equipment
Jun Takahashi, Hidemi Sato and Mitose Tsuchida
Regular price $29.99
Unit price per
Impressively systematic and detailed, this guide to the creation of traditional sushi addresses everything a serious practitioner will want to know.
Lead author Jun Takahashi has run a sushi restaurant in Tokyo since 2014; Hidemi Sato is a food scientist, and Mitsoe Tsuchida is an experienced Japanese cookbook writer. Together they have collaborated to produce a work which addresses:
- The seasonality of seafood used in Japan
- The properties of Japanese sushi knives
- Best harvesting and killing methods
- Butchering and curing of different types of fish and shellfish
- The selection and preparation of rice
- Use of vinegar and mirin
- Preparation of accompaniments such as wasabi, marinated ginger
- Shaping, slicing, and presentation of finished sushi pieces
The book is illustrated throughout with photographs and charts illustrating everything from fileting an eel to understanding the time needed for a mixture of vinegar, salt, and sugar to effectively act against various microbes.Released by the Tokyo-based Tuttle Publishing, The Art and Science of Sushi is a useful and authoritative reference for anyone interested in the more technical aspects of sushi making.