Plantasia: A Vegetarian Cookbook Through Asia
Shipping calculated at checkout
Plantasia contains vegetarian (frequently vegan) recipes from a deep range of East Asian cultures, some of them traditional, others the creation of talented chefs who are profiled in the book.
Eight chapters, each focused on a different cooking technique such as steaming or frying, showcase recipes from more than fifteen different countries, from Burma to Vietnam. Author Pamelia Chia, a former restaurant cook who is now food writer based in Singapore, contributes her versions of many dishes, even as she pays tribute to cooks she admires.
The book offers a refreshing number of dishes that we have not commonly seen in other cookbooks. For instance:
- Watercress noodles with split pea fritters
- Grilled corn with coconut cream and scallions
- Soba salad with charred greens and tahini
- Charred brussels sprouts with grapefruit and yuba (tofu skin)
- Turmeric carrots with dill and mung bean jelly
Where necessary, Chia includes step-by-step photo sequences that illustrate slightly complex processes like assembling vegetable rolls or dumplings.
Hardcover. Color photographs throughout.