Norwegian Baking through the Seasons: 90 Sweet and Savoury Recipes from North Wild Kitchen
Shipping calculated at checkout
This handsomely photographed book from a Norwegian blogger offers a mix of traditional and modern baked goods distinguished by stylish hominess.
Author Nevada Berg divides the year into five seasons rather than the traditional four: Winter Light, New Light, Midnight Sun, Fire & Ice, and finally Dark Time, a reminder that days are very short in the depths of winter in the far north.
Among the traditional recipes are
- Sun buns or sol boller, cinnamony buns topped with a yellow egg custard
- Rye rusks or kavringer, which can be topped with butter or cheese, cream or jam
- St. Lucia saffron buns, or lussekatter, whose s-shaped spiral is an ancient symbol for life
Modern baking ideas are visible in recipes such as
- Viking pizza with wild strawberries, cured pork, and honey
- Apple cake with salted gin caramel
- Whole wheat, chocolate, and orange braided bread
There are many other attractive and enticing examples, with a good mix of savory as well as sweet items.
Measurements are provided in metric units as well as standard American units, and Berg is good at writing detailed instructions.
Hardcover. Color photographs throughout.