Mumbai Modern: Vegetarian Recipes Inspired by Indian Roots and California Cuisine
Shipping calculated at checkout
Dodhia Dodhia Gurbani was raised in India but started her own family in California. The abundance of good produce there inspired her to create food which drew on her roots, but also reflected the many other cuisines prepared by her neighbors.
Mumbai Modern is unmistakably Indian in its origins, but there are flourishes which reflect the author's exposure to other cultures. If you would like something traditionally Indian, you might choose from
- Sambharro (a salad of cabbage and carrots seasoned with mustard seeds, turmeric and lime juice0
- Dahi Wadas (lentil fritters in yogurt sauce which are a street food staple of Mumbai)
- Chikki (a brittle made with cashews, rose, and cardamom)
Or, you might just as easily turn to one of the many California-inflected dishes which Gubani has devised:
- Caramelized onion, Fontina, and samosa tart
- Squash blossom tacos with a tomato, peach, and cucumber salsa called kachumber
Kumquat and black sesame bundt cake
Fresh and attractive.
Hardcover. Color photographs throughout.