What’s the last drink you’d want before you die?
Ask that question of some of America’s foremost bartenders and you’ll get a remarkable range of thoughtful answers. And you’ll provoke them to some thoughtful ruminations about what keeps them in the business and what stands out in all the drinks they pour. Among the more than 40 mixologists featured here are:
- Lauren Corriveau and Natasha David of Nitecap in New York City
- Joseph Stinchcomb of Saint Le in Oxford, Mississippi
- Jeffrey Morgenthaler of Clyde Common and Pépê le Moko in Portland, Oregon
- Laura Kelton of Sportsman’s Bar in Chicago
- Tobin Shea of Redbird in Los Angeles
And their drinks? Well, a finely made Manhattan will satisfy at least one, but another wants a Grasshopper, someone else favors a Revolver, and a fourth will call for an Assassin’s Handbook. And yes, there are recipes for all those final refreshments.
This is a fascinating glimpse into bar culture that captures the richness of the craft and the spirited hospitality of those who stand behind the bar.
Hardcover. Color photographs throughout.