Shipping calculated at checkout
This high-level guide to making gelato is the work of two professionals, each of them deeply informed about the science behind the craft. It offers technical expertise as well as sophisticated presentation.
Bas van Haaren, who runs a gelato consultancy in Belgium, trained at Carpigiani Gelato University in Bologna. Nils Hendrikse owns Patisserie Soetenso in Leiden, the Netherlands, and teaches for Cacao Barry. They have titled their book -12°C Gelato because that is the ideal temperature for serving it.
To understand the depth of their investigations, It’s worth noting that their examination of key gelato ingredients begins with water before addressing milk and other dairy products, sweeteners and their effect on freezing temperatures, and commonly used stabilizers and emulsifiers.
Subsequent chapters explore:
- The gelato production cycle, including aging the mix before freezing, freezing itself, and storage and shelf life
- Choice of freezing methods
- Behavior of flavoring ingredients
- Behavior of fats in gelato
- Developing and balancing a recipe
- Creation of dairy-free gelatos, including vegan gelatos
- Sugar reduction
Throughout the book there are dramatic images of and recipes for sophisticated gelato-based plated dessert.
Hardcover. Color photography throughout. All measurements by weight and in metric.