Magazine F: Ramyun Issue 21
Shipping calculated at checkout
Magazine F is a food documentary magazine which focuses on one food per issue. The magazine explores how each is grown, prepared, and shared in different cultures around the world, through in-depth interviews, inspiring stories, and beautiful photos.
The magazine originates in Korea, where it is published roughly 6 times a year. But as part of its quest to examine the use of foods worldwide, it features information on many locations, traditions, cooks, and producers.
This issue explores ramyun, using the Korean spelling for what is called ramen in Japan, and in particular the packaged, instant noodles which the editors posit are as symbolic to Koreans as their fried chicken.
But the scope of affection for instant ramyun clearly extends far beyond Korea, and we learn about:
- Instant noodle restaurants in Seoul, Tokyo, and Jakarta
- An instant noodle reviewer in Kenmore, Washington
- The philosophy of Korea’s most famous ramyun flavor engineer
- The twelve stages of industrial ramyun manufacturing
- Popular home mashups for combining ramyun with other ingredients
We have to admit we never would have guess the depth of affection for this product.
Paperback. Color photographs throughout.